Fed-up of ridge-gourd dishes? Try this reciepe and comments about it :) This recipe serves 4.
- Ridge-Gourd (250 grams).
- Cumin seeds (1 tea-spoon).
- Green chillies (5 in numbers).
- Black-Gram (1 tea-spoon).
- Sesame seeds (1 tea-spoon).
- Coconut (1 bowl).
- Tamarind (a small lemon size).
- Salt (as per requirement).
- Cooking oil (2 tea-spoons).
- Mustard Seeds (1 tea-spoon).
Carry out this procedure for this recipe.
- Take 2 medium size ridge-gourds (hire-kayi/bire-kayi).
- Peel off all its ridges.
- Chop it into small pieces.
- Boil it in a cooker for 1-2 whistles or in an open pan until it becomes soft.
- While boiling add a tea spoon of cumin seeds (geera) and 2 green chillies.
- Allow it to cool.
- After cooling, in a separate pan dry roast a tea spoon of black gram(uddina bele) and a tea spoon of sesame seeds(ellu).
- Add a bowl of grated coconut along with small amount of cleaned tamarind and grind it to make paste of all the above said ingredients and add salt as per requirement.
- In a small pan, add 2 tea spoons of cooking oil/ghee/butter and heat it.
- To the hot oil, add a tea spoon of mustard seeds until seed splashes.
Hot delicious ridge-guard Indian sauce is ready. Serve along with rice-ghee, chapaties(Indian bread) or anything of your choice which offers as best side-dish. If you want to increase the shelf-life, add a pinch of sodium meta-bisulphate preservative.
This recipe can also be made in other greens like spinach, palak, harive soppu.