Brief Description of Maharani's Arts College for Women JLB Road, Mysore
Maharani’s Arts College for Women, Mysore [MACWM] owes its existence to the farsightedness of the Maharani Kempananjammanni, the Queen Consort of the then Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar X. Initially, it was started as Maharani’s Girls School, Mysore.
The vision of providing education for girls was the brainchild of social workers such as Amble NarasimhaIyengar (Bakshi of the Palace), M. VenkataKrishnaiah [a renowned journalist of Mysore] and NarayanaShastri, it was the benevolence of Maharani Kempananjammanni which helped in the establishment of an educational institution exclusively for girls.
Thus, the school was started with primary and middle sections on 16th March 1881 with 28 girl pupils. In 1891, the school was taken over by the Government of Mysore and upgraded to High School. In 1902, the school was again upgraded to II Grade College with the name Maharani’s College and affiliated to the University of Madras. Till 1919, the institution had the college, high school, middle and primary sections together. In 1920, the Maharani’s College became a full-fledged institution of higher education, affiliated to the University of Mysore.
During the year 1979, the Maharani’s college was bifurcated into 2 individual colleges as Maharani’s Science College and Maharani’s Arts College. The College started courses in Commerce and Management in 1993 but owing to the growing student population, the Government of Karnataka bifurcated the college again into Maharani’s Arts College for Women and Maharani’s Commerce and Management College for Women. In the year 2007, the College started Postgraduate programmes. At present our College Maharani Arts College for Women Provide Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts and Career Orientation Programms.